Smart Luggage FAQs
What is Smart Luggage?
Smart Luggage is a 'parametric' insurance policy, which means that any claims processing time is drastically reduced by using automated technology to validate and pay claims. ‘Smart Luggage’ provides an automatic payout if your checked luggage is delayed or lost as a result of an airline or airport’s mishandling of it and it cannot be located at your destination airport.
How much baggage can I claim?
There will be an automatic payment of £50 direct into your bank account if your checked luggage has not arrived on the carousel and cannot be located at the destination airport. You will receive a further £500 if your luggage is still not returned to you with 48 hours of you notifying Smart Luggage this is delayed or missing. To login visit smartluggage.io/claim
How long does the luggage need to be missing to be deemed lost?
We will try to find your luggage, and text you if we locate it, with details on how it will be returned to you. If we cannot locate it after 48 hours we will deem it lost and you will receive £500 payment directly into the bank or PayPal account you registered.
For the claim to be processed you must have registered for Smart Luggage, added your flight and followed the steps to claim within the Smart Luggage portal.
Terms apply – see policy wording for details.
How do I make a claim?
If you find that your checked luggage has not arrived as expected at your destination airport, please follow these steps in order to make a claim.
- Inform the Customer Services desk or Luggage Services desk at that destination airport that your checked luggage has not arrived on the carousel.
- If they are unable to locate your checked luggage, the Customer Services desk or Luggage Services desk will provide you with a SITA proof of loss receipt for your checked luggage containing a Personal Identification Reference Number (PIR).
You must then log in to the Smart Luggage portal, report your luggage as lost and follow these steps:
- Log into smartluggage.io/claim and click on REPORT LOST LUGGAGE
- Enter the PIR number (this should be ten digit reference containing five numbers and five letters).
- Enter your surname
- Enter the date
- Select your Smart Luggage policy number
- Select your flight
- Take a photograph of the proof of loss receipt containing the PIR number and upload it.
- Click “report lost”.
On receipt of this information we will begin searching for your missing checked luggage.
If the luggage is not located 30 minutes after this, you will receive £50 into your bank or PayPal account, and if we cannot locate it after 48 hours, you will receive a further £500. You will be notified of the progress of your claim via SMS and have the option to accept payments from within the Smart Luggage portal.
NB: All claims must be made within 48 hours of acquiring knowledge of the delay or loss.
How do I register?
Once you have bought Smart Luggage you will receive an email explaining how to register. If you do not get this email you can visit smartluggage.io/register to create an account. You will need the policy number which you can find on your confirmation email (it will start with LUG).
You must register and add your flights at least 24 hours in advance of your flight's departure time.